Saturday, May 24, 2008

Faith and Family

Last Friday, I said I'd be back to share about the baptism of my husband, Chris and our two younger children, Jacob and Sarah. It's been a busy week filled with lots of wonderful things, including track, band and choir banquets, but I do want to take you back to last Saturday because it was a lovely ceremony that filled my heart with sheer joy!

Chris' testimony brought me to tears, as he spoke of his parents and the wonderful Christian home he was raised in. He shared how he turned away from the church during college and made his way back when we married "for the sake of our children". He went on to tell how that turned into a longing for a personal relationship with Christ. Jacob was next, saying that he wanted to be a true follower of Christ and live with Him in heaven someday. And Sarah finished by sharing how she had accepted Christ while talking and praying with Chris and saying how much she loves Jesus.

I praise God for His faithfulness and love and thank Him for the gift of salvation He offers us through His Son, Jesus Christ. I am so blessed to be a child of God. There is nothing better in this life than to be His and I am so overwhelmed with joy that my children call him Father too.

My heart's desire is for my children to grow so deeply rooted in their faith that nothing can move them from their relationships with our Lord. When growing up, my family went to church in spurts and then stopped when I was a teen.

It wasn't until my daugther's death and moving in with my aunt, that I started attending church again and began to realize how much I needed God. When Chris and I married, we agreed that He needed to be an important part of our family. Early on in our marriage, it was challenging getting to church on Sundays. I worked retail, which required me to work every other weekend. Chris was a real trooper, faithfully taking our 2 little guys every Sunday, even when I couldn't go.

Eventually, moving out to DeKalb allowed me the privilege of being a SAHM, which was a good thing because at that point, we had 2 more little ones. After settling in, we found a home at DeKalb Christian Church. Pastor Tom's sermons touched my heart and began to remove the layers of guilt that I had carried with me over past sin. I was baptized at DCC 7 years ago, and through God's word and Spirit, I discoverd that I had worth and that He loves me. I learned how to forgive. I learned how to love. And I learned the value of passing on my love of our Lord to my children.

Thanks for stopping by today. I hope it's as beautiful and sunny where you are, as it is here. I'll be back later this weekend to share some projects. In the meantime, enjoy your day! Blessings ~ Patti

3 comments:

Paula said...

What a beautiful story, Patti. Thanks for sharing your family's faith journey. I am sure that your heart is filled with joy.

stampmonkey said...

Thanks so much for sharing your family's story of faith and your love for the Lord. It's a joy for me to hear how He's working in your lives. You are blessed.

My husband and I were baptized together almost 12 years ago. Only one of our four older kids has been baptized, and only one (not the one who was baptized!) attends church regularly and really lives his faith. Well, that's not quite true...the one who was baptized does live her faith but she's just now starting to commit herself to going to church again (it's a start). Our younger two gave their hearts to Jesus a couple years ago, though they're just now getting to the age where being baptized would be something they understand. I'm still waiting and praying that He will capture ALL our kids' hearts.

Looking forward to seeing what else you have to share with us. ;)

Unknown said...

Patti-What a beautiful inspriational story. I am so happy for you, for Chris, for Jacob, and for Sarah. You and you entire family are indeed blessed.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails